Saturday 15 December 2007

Life Begins.....

I have heard it said many times that 'Life Begins at 40' ...Well I am not there yet, but, I am now in the approach year having celebrated (not sure if that is the correct expression) my 39th birthday earlier this week, (thank you to everyone for your well wishes, cards and gifts x) I am constantly being reminded that 40 is fast approaching. The thought that in a years time this adventure will hopefully be concluded successfully and that another goal will be set in motion is pretty daunting. Its hard to believe that in a few days time it will be 2008 and I will no longer be able to say that 'I am swimming the Channel Next Year' time is flying by and I know it will all be here before I know it. I have the vast majority of my annual leave from work booked now, so I have an idea of when we be able to visit Dover and train in the Harbour.

Christmas is almost with us us too, so its been all go at both home, work and school. Training has been restricted to the pool what with the weather being below zero for a week or so and the fact that Kelly was away in the States.. it would have been a little crazy to swim outside without a watchful eye in the present conditions. The sea locally is around 8 degrees and the River/Lake is now 4.5 degrees. I am at work on the afternoon of Boxing Day but will still have time to make the Boxing Day dip at 11am, hopefully I will get 20 minutes or so in what by then will be about 7-8 degrees.. I was on nights yesterday and noticed that the air temperature didn't rise above minus 3 all night, no wonder the water is cooling off rapidly...brrrr.....

I have spent some time reading Lynne Smiths journal this week and have been quite astonished at her training regime, overall work ethic and positive attitude. It is very motivational and I would recommend any aspirant to read it.

Off to the pool now....here we go again.

P.S. no idea what has happened to the the title picture? It doesn't seem to want to display correctly no matter what adjustments I try.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I have faith in Mark, is that what you have set your mind to, you will complete. Once you have the winter behind you its downhill all the way.I never enjoyed swimming so I admire your goal even more and I will be there standing on the beach in La Belle France when you arrive. Enjoy what you have of the holidays and then get back to work . ( 39 eh , you print that birth certificate by any chance)
Mike

M said...

Thanks Mike
its nice to know that those who mean something to me have the faith and belief. As for the comment on the birth certificate! I couldnt possibly comment....that piece if paper is 100% genuine. !!

Jevon said...

Hey Mark
we haven't met - I was surfing google re: Channel Swim and your details popped up. Like you I did my first IronMan last year (in Austria) and came in at 12 hrs 10 so we must have been seconds apart!!! Am doing it again this year and aiming to go down to sub 11 hours.
Thereafter I'm thinking of making an attempt on the Channel. A year ago I could barely swim 20 laps and improved enough to do my IM swim in 62 mins.
I know it's a huge ask but I'm positive I've got it in me but am not sure where to start. Am thinking of working up to Lake Windermere in Sept 08 if there are any spaces left, therafter going on to Channel in summer 09.
Any advice or pointers would be gratefully received. Cheers mate.
Jevon

Maggie said...

Up in Scotland at the football and not meeting up for an outdoor training session ! tut tut ok i will let you off just this once just because its FREEZING !!!!

Hope you all have a great Xmas & New Year

Maggie

M said...

haha Maggie we will be up for a fleeting visit for Charlies first game then straight back otherwise we could certainly have met up...that said the river here teeming with flotaing ice patches ten metres across today so goodness knows hows the loch is right now brrrrrrrrr

will speak before Christmas
best wishes
Mark

Jevon said...

Hi Mark
thanks for contacting me. My email is jevon@hubbleberry.com
Would love to know your experiences thus far on your channel journey.
Happy xmas to you and yours.
Jevon

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark
Well, I finally managed to do it...and sign your blog!. How'd the "dip" go?...LOL. Did Kell get in too!...I'd love to have seen that!.
I'm glad it's going so great for you both, Kelly never stopped talking about your plans for the swim, while she was here. Her turn next.
I hope we will get to meet one of these days.
Take Care..Love to you all!
Emma

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark
Well, I finally managed to do it...and sign your blog!. How'd the "dip" go?...LOL. Did Kell get in too!...I'd love to have seen that!.
I'm glad it's going so great for you both, Kelly never stopped talking about your plans for the swim, while she was here. Her turn next.
I hope we will get to meet one of these days.
Take Care..Love to you all!
Emma