Sunday 29 March 2009

Welcome...not

My attention was recently drawn to a French movie titled 'Welcome' by Philippe Lioret. Briefly the story relates to a Kurdish male who wants to get into England, the red tape and complications result in him locating a swimming teacher and the subsequent plan to swim to England (wearing a wetsuit). There have been a number of good reviews, though I doubt any of these viewers are actually swimmers. The trailer is here.

From what I have seen it will be worth a watch but will not be a patch on my favourite Channel Swim production, the true and tragic Two Swimmers. I still have this on VHS from when it aired in the UK on Channel 4 in 2007. I have mentioned this documentary previously however it remains one of the most compelling pieces of TV I have ever seen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I caught this film recently on French Cable (in SF US)and I agree that it was a very thought provoking well done, well acted and multidimensional movie.

John van Voorthuijsen http://sites.google.com/site/forthuyse/

or just google on forthuyse for my website