Saturday 6 September 2008

Thats it...

The weather never did improve, nor did the forecast for the coming the week. I spoke with the pilot and another pilot for good measure… the consensus of opinion being that there does not look like a swimmable window of opportunity anytime soon.

With deep regret I therefore took the advice of my pilot to travel home and thus abandon any hope of swimming the English Channel. I feel emotionally shattered, over eighteen months of preparation, sacrifice, never ending research, training and financial commitment has ended.

I will post soon regarding some hindsight and what might have been. Thank you to everyone who has text me today and especially thank you to those who have supported me through all of this build up, to all those who have donated in advance and helped to raise awareness of the Jack Foundation and the fight against Neuroblastoma. I am sorry it has come to nothing.

To the Dover beech people. You are an amazing bunch, without Freda Streeter and Barrie Wakeham very few swimmers would every make it to France. As Ned Denison reminded today I have also met a lot of great people and made a few friends along the way.

Gutted, embarrassed, upset and angry.

No comments: